What if you were just served papers from your employee Sally for sexual harassment. Now what?
This month I would like to spend a couple minutes on the topic of Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI). Here are the key things you need to know.
- If you have any employees, this coverage is critical
- If any of your employees – full time, part time, seasonal – claims they were, discriminated against, wrongfully terminated, or sexually harassed (#MeToo), this coverage will pay for your attorneys to defend you in court and even pay legal damages ordered.
- Even if the claims are completely fabricated…. Without this protection, you will have the expense of hiring your own attorneys, the time away from your business (lost revenue) and heartache and sleepless nights spent on defending yourself.
- WITH this protection, you will have the full resources of the carrier and employment attorneys to sort things out, and you can continue running your business.
- Businesses are 3x more likely to be sued by an employee than experience a fire.
- EPLI is not automatically included in your policy, so make sure you have added it to your policy
- The attached will give you much more information